One of our primary types of commercial roof restorations is metal roof restoration. Commercial metal roofs are engineered to last a lifetime if properly cared for. As commercial roofers in Omaha, we’ve restored many metal roofs over the years and want to spend some time talking about the different types of metal roofs, and how we restore them. If you have a metal roof in Omaha, a simple restoration can your roof’s life long into the future.
R-Panel vs. Standing Seam Metal Roofs
If your commercial building has a metal roof, it’s likely an R-Panel or Standing Seam roof. R-panel is a roofing industry term that refers to a metal panel that is commonly used in the pre-engineered metal building industry. R-panel sheets are typically 3’ wide and have major ribs 12’ long. They’re installed with fasteners that penetrate the panel and attached to the substrate members underneath. This style is typically used for walls and roofs on pre-engineered metal buildings.
Standing seam systems are installed with hidden clips and fasteners, which eliminates visible fasteners that are more prone to leaking. They are considered to be more aesthetically pleasing and come in many styles, designs, and colors. Aside from aesthetics, the main advantage of standing seam systems is the lifespan due to the hidden fasteners.
Metal Roof Restoration Introduction
Both R-Panel and Standing Seam metal roofs will need a restoration or replacement at some point. Restorations are the preferred method among commercial building owners today, because of the time and cost savings, and the fact that multiple restorations can be done over the lifespan of the building – which might happen every 20 years or so.
All metal roofs will expand and contract as the temperature changes. That movement can cause fasteners to back out and cause seams to come apart. A metal roof restoration will remedy both of these issues and keep your roof system intact in all weather conditions.
Metal Roof Restoration Process
First off, it’s worth noting that a metal roof restoration costs at least 50% less on average than a traditional replacement. Our metal roof restorations come with an 18-year leak-free warranty that is non-prorated, fully transferable, and covers all materials and labor.
- Metal roof restoration starts with the prep work. We thoroughly clean your existing metal roof with a high potency cleaner and pressure wash, ensuring no debris or damaged sections are left behind.
- All rust spots that are found are treated with a careful and thorough application of a rust-inhibiting primer that stops any current rust and prevents future rust from occurring.
- After your roof is cleaned and prepped, the first layer of base coat is applied to the seams ensuring a strong base.
- Once the base coat has been applied, a high tensile strength fabric called Spunflex is rolled onto the seam. A second layer of base coat is then applied over the Spunflex, making the fabric fully embedded on all the seams.
- The next step is tightening down every fastener and enveloping them in a 30 year rated pliable caulking compound.
- The final step is applying a white reflective top coat over the entire surface in a single, seamless layer.
Need a Metal Roof Restoration in Omaha?
We proudly serve Omaha and surrounding areas. If you have a damaged metal commercial roof in need of repair or replacement, give us a call. We’ll drop by and give you a free inspection and break down your best options. Always check if your roof is a good candidate for restoration before undergoing the costs of a traditional roof replacement.